Friday, April 29, 2011

Hug a Tree

Today is Arbor Day
Founder: Julius Sterling Morton
1st Arbor Day Celebration: 1874 in Nebraska
1970: President Nixon proclaimed the last Friday in April to be National Arbor Day


I do not have a green thumb but I do have a pretty wicked shutter button finger so I will be planting pictures of trees on this Arbor Day. 


Ok, it appears this tree may have suffered from my care, but really I had nothing to do with it's demise, but I love the look of it despite the lack of leaves.  This tree was at the top of a mountain hike I took.  It was clear and sunny as I started my hike (at the bottom of the hill) but when I got to the top it was foggy (typical of northern CA) and drizzly.  This is why we learn at a young age to dress in layers in this here parts.


This is another part of the same hike as above - notice the sunshine coming through the redwoods.  This is not much further down from where I took the "foggy" picture.


This is also part of the same hike.  How does a tree twist like that?  And don't you just love the moss covering?  This is a great summer time hike because it is under the trees (shady) the whole way.  Shade on Northern CA hikes = poison oak, however.  Thankfully, I don't appear to be susceptible to it - either that or I have been extraordinarily adept at avoiding the plant on my hikes.


Here is tree, more typical of the hikes I take - standing out in the middle of a pasture/ field.  It's hard to tell here, but in the foreground, there are some great purple wildflowers.  It won't be long before this green hillside will be brown.  Either way, I think it's glorious.


Isn't this an awesome mosaic tree trunk?



Here is some new growth on a pine tree - it practically glowed.

 If planting and pictures aren’t your thing, celebrate them in another way – Hug a Tree!  


No comments:

Post a Comment